Saturday, April 25, 2009

Wild Woman of Queens: Notes on Urban Creativity from across the East River.

Spring Trees by Sandra Lee Schubert 2009



Things Blooming



Spring is here. There are flowers everywhere. Hyacinth are scenting the walkways. Daffodils, tulips, and all sorts of flowers are blooming everywhere. The trees are hanging back a bit. Some things take longer to mature.

Spring is here and soon everything will be green and full of color. Everyone laughed when Barbara Walters asked Katherine Hepburn what kind of tree she would be if she were a tree. Hepburn said she would be an oak; strong and solid. As I sat in the park last week the trees were still bare. I knew it would take a couple days of rain and then warm weather and those trees would be bright green with new leaves.

We look to nature to discover rhythms. Everything has a season.

What are your creative rhythms? Are you like Hepburn's oak; slow to grow, but strong and solid? Or do you just need a little prompting to go full blast and bloom? I know I need a little coaxing. There is no way I can just sit at the computer and write. There is food and coffee, a bit of TV. In the morning I am sluggish and thick. My mind is a dark and swirling place that needs to enter into the light slowly. Once I get to that lighter place I am good to go.

I have to honor my internal rhythm and also make sure it doesn't rule me. There are days when I have to hit the life a little harder and faster then I would like. It is a cup of coffee at the computer and I am ready to write. Or, I am outside discovering a world that in various stages of blossoming. Discover your rhythm and honor it. But don't let it be the only way you operate in the world.



Sandra's e-course leads people to be their creative best through telling their stories. She is a creative vagabond, a poet, writer who co-facilitates the Wild Angels Poets and Writers Group at the historic Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine.Writing for Life: Creating a Story of Your Own. Visit her blog: Email her sandraleeschubert(at)gmail.com or @writing4life via twitter.

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

Our grass suddenly turned very green a few days ago. My tulips are blooming and daffodils.

Spring's my favorite season.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com