Sunday, July 12, 2009

Don't Quit Your Day Job


Creating and the Quiet Weekend

So here I am, it’s Sunday and I’m plugging away. My husband is away on business and the kids are on summer break, so there’s not much action at my house right now. I want to take advantage and get a lot of writing done. I’m doing okay. I can never do as much as I want to. Why are my expectations always so unrealistic? If I was to get done as much writing as I plan, I would have to skip sleeping! Sundays are always difficult for me. By Sunday, I feel like I’m finally in a groove. Then SMACK, it’s back to the office grind. As much as I hate to admit it, if I didn’t have my office gig anymore, would I really get more writing done? I like to use my job as a crutch and working forty hours a week does consume quite a bit of time. However, I’ve noticed when I have a day off; the hours seem to fly by. Before I know it, it’s early evening and I have only begun to scratch the surface of my intentions.

I guess I really need to keep working on writing within the current confines of life and situation. Writing has definitely come to the forefront for me over the last few years. I do write more than I talk about writing, that’s a step in the right direction.

Still, I can’t stop dreaming of days when I can write full-time. We all know there’s so much more than just writing. Often, I can’t write as much as I like because I’m researching or I’m trying to learn some technical aspect of posting on the internet. I have to read up on promoting my blog. Then of course I have to read, watch TV and movies in order to have material to review on my blog. If I’m lucky enough to complete an essay, I have to decide where to send it and write inquiries and follow-ups. Don’t even get me started on the amount of hours I’d have to spend if I ever did finish my book. Proposals, platforms, it makes me dizzy thinking about it! Sometimes, it seems impossible that there’s hours left to actually write!

There’s not much I can do to change my circumstances. I can’t waste a quiet weekend like this one. Once this posts is finished, I can cross it off my weekend ‘to do” list. After that all I can do is keep chipping at the boulder. I will try to spend a moment to reflect on what I did accomplish instead of what’s still waiting in the wings. It’s tough to pat yourself on the back when there’s so much more to do. Deep breath. It’s a process, I know.


No comments: