Thursday, February 05, 2009

Career Inklings from Columbia


Hush
by Janet M. Ruck

Ah, winter on the East coast! Blanketed with snow, ravaged by ice, this is the time of year for hunkering down, turning inward and revitalizing. For many people, this long stretch of cold weather, reduced daylight and barren landscape is a scourge to be endured. For others, it is an opportunity to reflect and revisit, prepare and repair, create and carve out the next chapter of life.

I’ve always enjoyed this time of year and the respite it brings from the busyness of the other seasons. This is why I like living here. I look forward to the beauty of each time of year and each provides a gateway to the next. The cold winter gives me pause which I might not give myself. So, Mother Nature, in her infinite wisdom, seems to know what’s best for me. Unlike the exhausted child who fights sleep and bedtime, I am happy to oblige.

Regardless of where you live or what the weather, taking time to reflect is always good life practice. For me, writing what my reflective self is telling me helps to keep me connected to my internal voice. Then, when I am caught up in the frenzy that undoubtedly accompanies my self in warmer times, I am reminded of the wisdom that presents itself during the stillness. I think this is how I learn “me” best – by stopping, writing, and living.

You may wish to try it, no matter the season of your life.

No comments: