Saturday, November 22, 2008

Wild Woman of Queens: Notes on Urban Creativity from across the East River.

Build Your Foundation photo by Sandra Lee Schubert 2008

Wild Woman of Queens
: Notes on Urban Creativity from across the East River.

Sandra Lee Schubert


Building a Foundation


I don't know how to build a building. When I saw the walls of one going up without a foundation I thought it didn't seem right. What would hold the walls in place? It would seem even with a one story place you would want it anchored into something more solid then dirt. The walls looked unsettled. Am I wrong?
Maybe I don't know anything about construction but I do know about living on shaky ground. When last week I ended up 90 miles away from home at the right place at the wrong time I was shaken for a moment. But I was able to bounce back and laugh at myself. This week I lost my job. Wow. I must admit to a bit of a headache.

Things happen. Challenges and successes move through your life. What do you do with them? How do you keep to creating in spite of circumstances.

The people I admire most are the ones who can work no matter what. I would like to say I got up and began to write, write, write. I didn't. But I will write. There is a space of time open before me with new possibilities. Build your foundation, then build your walls, giving your life and creativity someplace to thrive.

Sandra Lee Schubert is a creative vagabond, a poet, writer and dabbler in the arts and online entrepreneur. She co-facilitates the Wild Angels Poets and Writers Group at the historic Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine. She is also the creator of the e-course, Writing for Life: Creating a Story of Your Own. Visit her blog: Email her info@writing4life.com or @writing4life via twitter.

No comments: