Saturday, December 20, 2008

Wild Woman of Queens: Notes on Urban Creativity from across the East River.

Snow on Queens Boulevard, Sandra Lee Schubert 2008

Wild Woman of Queens
: Notes on Urban Creativity from across the East River.

Sandra Lee Schubert

Sun on Mars

A friend sent a photo of snow falling in Las Vegas. This was not snow in the upper regions where there are heavy storms, but in the city itself. Another friend said they were seeing snow in Texas where snow does not normally fall. Reports of snow were all over the place. Snow was even found on Mars,where scientists have been searching for any possibility of life. Microbes can live in extreme temperatures. Having the presence of water means the possibility of life can exist.

The reports of snow in odd places made me think, not of global climate change, but of possibility.

I am always surprised by life, something I thought was one way turns out to have a whole other point of view.

Creation becomes this vital thing. Mapping out my life in I realize the path I was taking could be better served going in another direction. For many years I considered myself first and foremost a poet. when I started writing longer pieces I discovered a dark and Gothic voice. It was a surprise to me. Who is this person writing these words? I couldn't even say it was a female voice. There was a voice that came from a place I didn't know existed.

Occasionally I hear people resist another point of view. They have dedicated themselves to creating a comfortable persona. You can hear the subtle horror in their tone when their worldview is challenged. The rest of us listening may recognize the resistance because we know it in ourselves.

I would like to say I am open to all possibilities but I more fearful then adventuresome. I still surprise myself. There is snow on Mars and the possibility for life. I find some hope in that news.



Sandra Lee Schubert is a creative vagabond, a poet, writer and online entrepreneur. She co-facilitates the Wild Angels Poets and Writers Group at the historic Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine. Sandra leads people to create their life stories as the creator of the e-course, Writing for Life: Creating a Story of Your Own.
Visit her blog: Email her info@writing4life.com or @writing4life via twitter.

No comments: