Friday, January 02, 2009

TRAITS OF THE CREATIVE PERSONALITY: Depth of Knowledge



ERIC MAISEL post

A writer came to Ari, a creativity coach. The writer said, “I want to write a novel about two chess players who live out an intense rivalry over a game of chess. Every move is a twist and turn in their rivalry.” “What will black play if white opens pawn to queen four?” Ari replied. “Excuse me?” the writer said. “What will black play if white opens pawn to queen four?” Ari repeated. “I don’t understand you,” the writer said. “I am asking about your knowledge of chess and whether you understand the language of chess,” Ari continued. “Do you?” “No,” the writer replied, “I’m not really interested in chess, I’m only interested in the rivalry between these two chess players.” Ari nodded. “I understand. You don’t think your odds would be longer if you actually understood chess, and in a deep way?” “No,” the writer said, shaking his head. “I think that is totally irrelevant.” “Fine,” Ari agreed. “Then we will work to get your novel written exactly as you envision it.” “Thank you!” the writer cried. “Now I can really begin!” So they began; and it was about two weeks later that the writer found himself losing all enthusiasm for his project.



Pick up your copy of Creative Recovery in 2009!

No comments: