Saturday, March 07, 2009

Wild Woman of Queens: Notes on Urban Creativity from across the East River.

My Left Hand. Sandra Lee Schubert 2009


Sandra Lee Schubert

Guidebook

What if you were handed a guidebook that told you exactly who you were in the world, your life lessons and what gifts you have, and you ignored it? A person taps the book and says, "look at page 22. It says writing is what you were meant to do." Would you stare at them blankly? Would you doubt the authenticity of the book?

My friends and I have often wondered why there couldn't be such a book that would lead us down life's path in a more orderly fashion. On my radio show this past week my guest, a hand analyst, told me that indeed such a guidebook does exist and it is literally right at your fingertips.

Ronelle Coburn has taken the carnival out of palm reading and put the science back into it. She explained how our day to day actions are revealed in our hands. The very creases, lines interesting twists and turns reflect where we have been and who we are. Our hands also tell us our tendencies, our gifts and our struggles. What is reflected in our hands is the fabric of our DNA. Ronelle gave me a live reading on what my hands say about me. My reaction to this reading was to be sick for two days.

This post is not about hand analysis but about what we do with our gifts. How we react when we are acknowledged, shunned, or even given an outline of what are life could look like if we followed the path laid out before us. So often we say we don't know where to go or what to do. The truth is we do know and are too afraid to take the leap.It is so much easier to hang out in the background playing safe.

What would you do if fear wasn't a factor? I know there is a great play, poem or memoir that is sitting safely inside you. Our gifts are given to be shared. Believe me I know the feeling of fear but I am willing to take a chance. Spring is almost here do you want to come out of the dark and play a bit? There is a wonderful garden path we can follow. There are guideposts and everything, even if we get lost we'll find our way again.


Sandra's e-course leads people to be their creative best throught telling their stories. She is a creative vagabond, a poet, writer who co-facilitates the Wild Angels Poets and Writers Group at the historic Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine.
Visit her blog: Email her sandraleeschubert(at)gmail.com or @writing4life via twitter.

No comments: